The Open Philanthropy Project recommended a grant of $215,000 to Animal Equality to support corporate campaigns to improve the welfare of broiler chickens. Broiler chickens are the most numerous land farm animals, with more than a billion alive at any time and approximately 9 billion slaughtered annually in the U.S. alone. Their welfare is impacted by genetics, overcrowding, inhumane slaughter, and environmental factors like chronic sleep deprivation due to lighting schedules optimized for growth. Broiler welfare campaigns seek to address these causes of suffering.
This follows Open Philanthropy's June 2018 support of U.S. and international corporate cage-free and broiler welfare campaigns, and falls within its focus area of farm animal welfare.
- Open Philanthropy Grant Page
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Animal Equality — June 2018
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Animal Equality — November 2017
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Animal Equality — May 2017
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Animal Equality — August 2016
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Farm Animal Welfare
- Animal Equality Website