The Open Philanthropy Project awarded a grant of $500,000 to the Blue Ribbon Study Panel on Biodefense (abbreviated as “the Study Panel”) to enable it to continue its advocacy for biodefense policy improvements. This grant, intended as a “top-up” to an August 2016 grant, is Open Philanthropy’s third grant to the Study Panel, and falls within Open Philanthropy’s work on biosecurity and pandemic preparedness.
The Study Panel has convened a series of meetings in which current and former policymakers, academics, and security experts discussed the state of U.S. biodefense efforts. The Study Panel also released a report assessing current efforts and recommending changes to U.S. policy and law in 2015. This grant is intended to support the Study Panel’s continued efforts to improve U.S. biodefense policy, including implementation of its recommendations, through the end of 2017.
- Open Philanthropy Grant Page
- Open Philanthropy Grant to the Blue Ribbon Study Panel on Biodefense — August 2016
- Open Philanthropy Grant to the Blue Ribbon Study Panel on Biodefense — April 2015
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Biosecurity and Pandemic Preparedness
- Blue Ribbon Study Panel on Biodefense Website