The Open Philanthropy Project awarded a grant of $1,331,597 over two years to the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) to support the work of asha bandele and Kassandra Frederique, who plan to lead culture change and pilot project strategies to advance a public health approach to the use and sale of all drugs. This grant falls within Open Philanthropy’s work on criminal justice reform.
When fully implemented, a public health approach shifts authority and resources to address drug use from the criminal justice system, which uses criminalization and punishment to achieve outcomes, to the health system, which focuses on treatment and reducing the harms associated with drug use. DPA, a nonprofit organization focused on drug policy reform to which Good Ventures has made several grants in the past, has been advancing a public health approach for the past several years with a focus on policy analysis and policy reports.
The grant amount has been updated to reflect $68,403 in unspent funds returned to us in December 2018.
- Open Philanthropy Grant Page
- Good Ventures Grant to DPA — August 2016
- Good Ventures Grant to DPA — August 2015
- Good Ventures Grant to DPA — September 2014
- Good Ventures Grant to DPA — September 2013
- Good Ventures Grant to DPA — June 2012
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Criminal Justice Reform
- Drug Policy Alliance Website