Open Philanthropy recommended a grant of $939,263 to the Future of Humanity Institute (FHI), a multidisciplinary research institute working on global catastrophic risks at the University of Oxford, to support new DPhil positions. This grant follows Open Philanthropy's July 2018 support, which was intended to support work on risks from advanced artificial intelligence, biosecurity and pandemic preparedness, and macrostrategy.
While Open Philanthropy sees the basic pros and cons of this support similarly to what it's presented in past writeups on the matter, its ultimate grant figure was set by the aggregated judgments of its committee reviewing the grant proposal.
The grant amount was updated in October 2020.
- Open Philanthropy Grant Page
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Future of Humanity Institute — July 2018
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Future of Humanity Institute — March 2017
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Future of Humanity Institute — September 2016
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Global Catastrophic Risks
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Potential Risks from Advanced Artificial Intelligence
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Biosecurity and Pandemic Preparedness
- Future of Humanity Institute Website