Good Ventures awarded a grant of $1,186,840 to GiveWell for general operating support. We expect this grant to increase the availability of high-quality information and analysis about charities and giving opportunities, thereby increasing the impact of donors who use GiveWell’s research and raising the level of discourse about charitable giving. For more on our partnership with GiveWell, which we announced in June 2012, see this post.
This grant will also support the Open Philanthropy Project, a collaboration between GiveWell and Good Ventures, which is currently housed within GiveWell. The Open Philanthropy Project's mission is to learn how to give as effectively as possible and share its findings openly so that anyone can build on them. See this post for more about our work on the Open Philanthropy Project.
- Blog Post: Teaming Up With GiveWell
- Blog Post: Introducing the Open Philanthropy Project
- Good Ventures Grant to GiveWell — March 2014
- GiveWell Blog Post: Change in Our Fundraising Policy for the Open Philanthropy Project
- Records from June 2015 GiveWell Board Meeting (includes discussion of this grant)