Open Philanthropy recommended a grant of $3,330,000 over three years to the Center for Security and Emerging Technology, via Georgetown University, to support a project investigating the extent and risks of dual-use research in the biosciences. The hope is that the results of this project will better inform policymakers and other stakeholders of the security implications of such research.
This falls within Open Philanthropy's focus area of biosecurity and pandemic preparedness and follows its August 2021 support for CSET, which it recommended as part of its interest in potential risks from advanced artificial intelligence.
- Open Philanthropy Grant Page
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Biosecurity and Pandemic Preparedness
- Center for Security and Emerging Technology Website
- Open Philanthropy Grant to CSET — August 2021
- Open Philanthropy Grant to CSET — January 2021
- Open Philanthropy Grant to Georgetown University — January 2019
- Open Philanthropy Focus Area: Potential Risks from Advanced Artificial Intelligence